Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Everything I Know, I Learned from Strunk and White

The Elements of Style: that slender volume by Strunk and White has taught me as much about writing as my careful lifelong study of Fitzgerald and Hemingway. This book doesn't condescend by teaching you a formula for writing; what it does is  identify the common elements in all powerful writing and inspire you to include those elements in your own work.

Here is a brief selection from The Elements of Style:


    1. Use the active voice. The active voice is usually more direct and vigorous than the passive: "I shall always remember my first visit to Boston." This is much better than, "My first visit to Boston will always be remembered by me."
    2. Use definite, specific, concrete language.
    3. Omit needless words.
    4. Exclamations. Do not attempt to emphasize simple statements by using a mark of exclamation!
    5. Write in a way that comes easily and naturally to you, using words and phrases that come readily to mind.
    6. Write with nouns and verbs. Even Hemingway advised, "No fat, no adjectives, no adverbs."
    7. Be clear. Always.
    No, following Strunk and White won't make a novelist out of you. But careful practice of The Elements of Style will make you a much better writer, especially in business. And that could make the difference between success and disappointment, especially in regard to winning new clients.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment